Thursday, October 12, 2023

I will not watch Ind V/s Pak

This might surprise you that this is the topic which I don't speak much about. This blog is limited to share  wisdom, knowledge I have gained while being an art of living meditation practitioner and teacher  and some guru stories or some fun anecdotes with some wisdom. So I am sure this might surprise you why I am talking about this topic and is there any link to with main theme of this blog. Let me begin by saying that I enjoy watching cricket and I am watching current cricket world cup with lot of enthusiasm. I have been watching cricket since 1992 world cup. Obviously you cant watch all matches but you do watch some highlights and you keep a tab on what is happening in the world cup. I am sure I am pretty much like most cricket lovers in the country and across the world. You might wonder then why am I not interested in India vs Pakistan which is considered the most anticipated match in cricketing world. Also I would like to mention that I have loved all the cricket Ind vs Pak matches. I remember '92 match where Javed Miandad was trying to imitate Kiran more but India won anyways. '96 world cup and heroics of Ajay Jadeja against Legendary Waqar younis and in the same match the sohail and venkatesh prasad episode. 2003 where Tendulkar played as if Wasim, Waqar and Akhtar were some street cricketers of Pakistan. 2011 semifinal, 2019 Rohit Sharma special innings I have watched all and enjoyed them as well.  


Let me explain why I am not going to watch this match and Ind vs Pak world cup matches going forward. A dear cousin of mine called me up and asked me if he would like to join in Ahmedabad match live in the stadium as he has acquired a few passes. I very politely and respectfully denied. Ind vs Pak matches are played as if its not a sport but some civilizational war. Current and former Indian cricketers have always showed restraint while commenting on this topic. Pakistani cricketers on the other hand have always made bigoted and derogatory remarks about hindus, India and Indian civilization. Waqar Younis recently said that he was proud of the way Rizwan batted and the way he showed Indians their place by observing namaz on the cricketing field. Shoaib Akhtar has many a times mentioned that a holy war will be waged against Hindus, Christians' and other kafirs and they will establish Islam on the world. I can go on and on. Imran khan even once said that India vs Pakistan game for him is like a holy jihad. while I dont want to comment on Islam or the prophet, peace be on him but its important to mention this bigotry. This is bigoted mindset that many Pakistani cricketers carry and vast proportion of Pakistani population subscribe to. Sport is always for entertainment and should not go beyond that. It should help us unite and not divide. We should be happy or sad just as much as we would be against any other opposition. This visceral hatred need not be celebrated. Everyone watches a sport to see their country win but not foster any hatred for opposing team. This bigotry and hatred have always like that and probably will not change any time soon. 


While hatred during a match is one thing but there are several other reasons as well. Pakistan as a nation has an ideology of hatred towards Sanatana Dharma, India and Indians. Last 1200 years Indian subcontinent has seen bloodshed like no where else. Even the holocaust would pale in brutality that this land has suffered in the last millenia. Now as a meditator and meditation instructor I will never foster hate against the present generation of Pakistani Muslim or Muslims anywhere in the world or Islam. But it is important to that I will not forget the brutality that my ancestors have faced. What happens in these games is that it generates a tremendous amount of wealth for Pakistani broadcasters, Pakistani cricket board, Pakistani commentators at expense of billion plus eyeballs glued to their television set. Billions of dollars are generated owing to these incredibly popular matches. A proportion of  this wealth and taxes on this wealth is used to wage wars on India and every now and then you see visuals of martyred soldiers coming home while their mothers, wives, daughters grieve. I am sure you have seen those visuals. I don't want to be participating in pain for the people serving me selflessly on borders. While I genuinely wish love, peace and brotherhood between two countries, I know cricket and arts are not the ways to bring peace and love. You will never see any Pakistani cricketer or an actor condemning terrorist attacks in India or even Israel. I come from Mumbai and no other city has seen the wrath of terrorism than Mumbai. Dozens of attacks have shaken this city and taken innocent lives. Indirectly watching cricket is adding to pockets of these individuals. While enjoying cricket match might seem harmless entertainment but we have to be aware of our choices and its deeper consequences. It is not a conspiracy theory but a proven fact. You will not see Pakistani actors and cricketers condemning gruesome acts but they will quickly cite peace and brotherhood through arts and sports. We need not be dumb while being kind and compassionate. 


I as an Art of Living teacher and a sincere human being have the responsibility to live life not only with love, peace and have camaraderie with every human but I also have the responsibility of being a conscious and aware individual. I have to weigh my actions and my choices so that eventually its creating peace. I cant let my craving for some cheap entertainment be the reason for more violence and disturbances. I know this blog will reach a very limited audience and maybe a handful will change their opinion. In due course of time this will have some impact and that's what I am looking for. Maybe there will be a day in my lifetime that wisdom will prevail, love, compassion will thump hatred and bigotry. Till that day its not a wise decision to contribute to more chaos and problems. My grand parents left Todays Pakistan to come to India (their own country) and they become refugees here. My actions should create a more safer world for my children and not feed individuals who have dreams of their destruction. I will spend my time taking weekly meditation sessions, going for a peaceful walks and enjoy nature. 


Love and Peace to all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment